Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Roadside sign

Lettuce, kale, kohlrabi...

I pass the same roadside vegetable sign every day on the way to work. It's a plain black sign with white letters. Whatever is ready that day is painted on the sign.

Green onions, garlic, green tomatoes...

I've gotten in the habit of reading it each day to see what's new in the farmer's garden. Kind of my way of seeing how another farmer is doing in this difficult growing year.

Bunnies, carrots, cabbage...

This week there was a new listing at the very bottom:

BAD ADVICE

By the time it registered what the sign said I was past the turn. I couldn't resist. I turned around in the next driveway and went back to see what "Bad Advice" the farmer had to offer.

What I found was a thin, young man in a bandana under a lean-to style stand surrounded by vegetables and rather humorous signs. Above his head the sign said, "Have a good day, Have a bad day, It's not up to me it's your choice." Another sign said, "Lost dog: blind, deaf has only 3 legs - answers to the name of 'Lucky'".

I smiled and struck up a conversation. We compared garden woes and successes. Moaned about the wet cool spring and the floods and swapped a few garden stories. I ended up buying some hard necked garlic to add to my garlic collection in the herb garden. I was just about to leave when I realized I hadn't asked about the "bad advice".

"Oh by the way, how much for the bad advice?" I asked.

"It's free."

"Ok, then, what's you best bad advice?"

"Start a farming/garden business in a year when it rains and floods all the time," he smiled.

We both laughed as I got into the car and headed on down the road.

Can't wait to see what the sign says this week! :)

No comments: