Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Ode to liver & onions

Ok so I don't really write poetry to food, but I do like liver and onions. I know most of you are going - EWWWWW Grosss!!! right now.

I remember liver and onions as a special dinner at our house when I was a kid. We only butchered a beef once a year and there is only one liver. So the nights we had liver & onions were few. Besides my Mom is the best liver cooker in 5 states. Never over or underdone - just perfect. Each slice topped with a heaping pile of carmelized onions. Yummy!

I haven't eaten liver in years. Why? I won't eat liver from a commercially raised animal. I just won't eat liver from an animal that I am not sure how it was raised. And the only way to be absolutely sure what went into the cow is to raise it yourself.

So we did. Two years of feeding and waiting for the calf to grow up. 12 days waiting for the beef to be ready to pick up from the processor. Brian laughed at me when I said I wanted liver and onions. My son wrinkled his nose at the idea. I just smiled and thawed a nice big package of liver.

For dinner tonight we had: sauteed liver with carmelized onions, brussel sprouts and baked sweet potatoes with lemon cheesecake for dessert.

Everybody else said the cheesecake was the best part. I disagree - it was the liver and onions!

No comments: